Sunday, June 29, 2008

107/365 So many choices

Last January, when I was part of a Salsa Performance Class, we were asked to wear red dresses for the show. I couldn't find a red dress that I liked, but I found a red knit top at Banana Republic that I loved, so I paired it with a black skirt (yes, I'm the rebel in the video).

The red top is now one of my favorites. Last week, as I was ironing it, I realized how simply constructed it is. I showed it to Mom and suggested we fashion a sewing pattern off of it so that we can make more. We've done this before with a simple Gap skirt that I've now worn out.

So this afternoon, with a stack of newly-purchased fabric at hand, I sorted through patterns in current and past issues of Burda World of Fashion to find more knit tops.

BWOF patterns are a godsend when it comes to my shape. We're able to cut the pattern, make it as-is from the directions, with few or no alterations, and they fit. We can't do that with any other pattern company -- not Vogue, McCall's, Simplicity, Kwik Sew, nothing. It's fantastic, because having to make alterations only slows down the process and diminishes the joy when the piece is finished.

And I LOVE that joy of wearing a newly-made piece for the first time. One that no one else on Earth has. And one that was made specifically with me in mind. Nothing else compares!

Camera: Canon 40D 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 400 in natural light at about 4:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment