Tuesday, July 1, 2008

108/365 Drive-by (photo)shooting

On my way home last night, right before I got to my exit off of the interstate, traffic slowed to a crawl. It's nothing unusual on I-465, but I could tell something was going on when I looked up and saw two helicopters hovering.

I started planning an alternate route home in my head as I got closer, flipped to the traffic report on the radio, and waited to see what was happening.

An apartment complex, all units included, was still burning just north of the exit to I-74. I could see a lone firefighter suspended above the smoke still hosing the flames from above. As I rounded the curve, I was able to snap a photo over my shoulder.

I think the most interesting part of the photo is the juxtaposition of two very different moments in time: the people driving by on their way to/from work, having an ordinary afternoon, and the firefighter working against the clock to try to save these apartments. And it's all happening under a perfect blue sky.

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 at about 5:15 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment