Tuesday, June 10, 2008

88/365 And the thunder rolls

It seems like when I was a kid, thunderstorms rolled through in the late afternoon. It was still light outside, and the daytime heating fueled the afternoon storms.

In the last few years, they seem to be arriving -- or developing -- later and later into the evening.

It's great when you want to get lightning photos, but it's not so great when you can't see what's coming (that's my fear).

It's also not great when you're trying to go to sleep, as was the story last night for me.

I had just climbed into bed after having watched the evening news and weather. I knew storms were right in the neighborhood, but I thought I'd give sleep a chance.

Forget it.

Two minutes after I climbed into bed, I crawled out.

And since I was already going to be up, I figured I'd try to get some good photos. I couldn't occupy my usual spot on the front porch because of lingering rain and wind from the west. So instead I set up inside the garage, with the service door open, shooting east. Success!

This photo may not have a big bolt in it, but I like how the distant strikes light the clouds.
But I always have my heart set on a big bolt (exactly the kind you're not supposed to be photographing while hugging a metal tripod).

This one was interesting and different, rather curlicue:
Still not good enough.

Then bam.
YES!

Right smack dab in the middle of my frame -- so close it extended beyond the top of the frame.

Okay, time to go to bed. My work is done for the night.

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR
1st photo: 34-second shutter, f/11 at ISO 100
2nd photo: 6-second shutter, f/11 at ISO 100
3rd photo: 6-second shutter, f/11 at ISO 100

No comments:

Post a Comment