Sunday, June 15, 2008

92/365 My, how you've grown!

Do you ever step out your door and really notice how much a plant or tree in your yard has grown?

I bet it's the same way when you have kids, which is why people look at you and say, "My goodness, you've grown!"

I did that with our cherry and apple trees yesterday. I went outside with my two assistants (aka Mom and Buster) to venture to the first blooming lilies, and on our way to the far side of the pond, we stopped, astounded at these two trees.

We planted the cherry tree several years ago, before we lost and mourned our former tree, and until this year, we've only had a handful of cherries on it.

But now it's loaded with cherries!
There were a few ripe ones on it, so we immediately picked and ate them, pursing our lips with the first sour burst of juice. In a couple days, we'll be able to go out and pick the rest. And we marveled that at the rate its growing, this will probably be the last year we'll be able to reach the very top cherries from the ground.

The apple tree has also grown immensely over the last few years. I'm amazed to stand beside it and realize how tall it is.

I discovered when I got to the lilies that they were turned toward the pond, not away from it in my direction, so I couldn't get a really good shot without toppling head-first into the water. But right next to them were some very pretty wildflowers.

Weeds, yes, but still pretty!

Camera: Canon 40D DSLR in sunlight and shade at about 7:00 p.m.
Cherries: 1/125, f/8 at ISO 100
Wildflowers: 1/60s, f/5.6 at ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment