Wednesday, June 4, 2008

82/365 Lightning

Okay, technically, I took these photos yesterday, not today. But I didn't take them until after I did last night's post, so I'm counting them as a second day.

Anyways, they deserve to have a post to themselves.

I finally got my first lightning photos of the season!

First, an interesting shot of the last rays of sun hitting the leading edge of the storm:

Beautiful! And then came the storms.

The lightning didn't come until about 10:15, which is really when I should be getting ready for bed, but how could I pass up the chance with my perfect conditions?

I hardly got any sleep last night because of this round of storms. We have a weather alert radio that sounds an alarm when any watch or warning is issued for our area. It does its job -- the whole point is to keep you from getting swept away by a tornado while you're sound asleep.

It's loud.

And it sounded off at 1:00 a.m., 3:00 a.m., 3:15 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.

In between these times of being jolted awake, falling back asleep with wave after wave of thunder and lightning was an entirely different challenge.

I plan to sleep soundly tonight!

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR
1st photo: 1/60s, f/8 at ISO 400 at about 9:00 p.m.
2nd photo: f/8, ISO 100, shutter speed of 29 seconds
3rd photo: f/8, ISO 100, shutter speed of 83 seconds
4th photo: f/8, ISO 100, shutter speed of 65 seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment