Tuesday, October 20, 2009

207/365 A truly moving film




My pink item for Saturday was the scarf that I wore to a film screening at the Heartland Film Festival.

This was my first-ever trip to the Festival, though I've been wanting to go for years. They expanded the list of entries this year, as well as the length of time over which they'd be shown.

 
I went with a group of friends on Saturday afternoon to a showing of the documentary "Songs for a Revolution." It chronicled the songs sung during the Civil Rights Movement as a way to stay strong, positive, and focused on the end goal. The film was very well done and was quite moving.

I came away from the film with a greater appreciation for Martin Luther King, Jr. and his leadership during that time. Obviously I've always known who he was, and how important he is to our history, but I didn't realize until Saturday that I really only had a cursory understanding of his work.

I was completely in awe of his emphasis on peaceful protest even in the face of physical challenge. I can imagine that for the people involved in that movement, not fighting back when provoked, beaten, you name it, would have been unbearably difficult.

If I can come away with such a powerful message from every film at the Heartland Film Festival, I need to go more often! This is definitely something I want to make part of my annual schedule.

First photo: Canon 40D, 1/60s, f/4 at ISO 1000 in mixed lighting
Second photo: Canon PowerShot SD1000 lit with light from a window at about 3:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment