Sunday, October 4, 2009

192/365 A little ambience

This reminds me of a sunset, but it's actually far from it.

Any guesses?

Go ahead and think about it. I'll wait.

Take your time.

Ok, time's up. It's actually a burning candle, viewed through the glass, with my lens right at the level of the flame (that bright spot in the top left).

The curved glass is the reason why the top dark line looks cockeyed. I lit the candle during a thunderstorm last week, when the power flickered for a few minutes.

Whenever storm-induced power failures pop up, as much as I feel inconvenienced by being separated from our electricity, I admit that I enjoy having the house lit by candlelight. That seems to be the only time I actually do that, but the ambience is great.

I suppose that means I need to do it more often, perhaps saving some electricity during the times it's available. One thing that has held me back in the past is the fact that I usually only have scented candles on hand.

And when you light multiple differently scented candles at a time, that overwhelming atmosphere can take the enjoyment out of it.

Know what that means? Time to go shopping!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment