Thursday, October 15, 2009

202/365 A ring with a story

On the outside, this silver ring that I wear each and every day looks like just a simple silver band. I've worn it on the middle finger of my left hand since high school.

But it's not an ordinary silver band; it has a story.

This silver ring started its life as an Australian Shilling before or during WWII. My grandfather fought in WWII in the Pacific Theater, and for a time, he was stationed in the Philippines. To pass the time in the slow hours, he and his Army buddies drilled holes in coins like this, then tapped the edges smooth with a spoon.

I can only imagine how long it took to tap this ring as smooth as it is now.

I love that you can see the details of the coin on the inside of the ring. In this photo the word "shilling" is upside down on the far side of the band. You can see the bottom edges of the letters.

I think of my grandfather each time I study the inside of this ring, and I love that the story of its creation makes it priceless.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 400

2 comments:

  1. What I also find interesting is my aunt (related through marriage) has a ring made the same way by her father or grandfather that she wears every day. Hers is a wider band than mine.

    ReplyDelete