Wednesday, October 7, 2009

198/365 Single servings

I'm embracing the concept of single servings, a.k.a. portion control.

Individually packaged single servings, made oh-so convenient by manufacturers, are great, handy, easy and American. But more often than not, you end up paying more for that convenience. Financially, it usually makes more sense to buy larger quantities -- but it's a lot easier to overeat.

A possible solution? Make your own single servings.

One of my greatest weaknesses lies in the form of bread. Carbs. Pasta. You name it. I love having the occasional bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, and nothing is better than a freshly baked bagel from a bakery (instead of off the shelf at the grocery store). Unfortunately, those fresh kinds are usually larger and contain more calories than the not-so-fresh kind.

I bought a half dozen whole grain bagels from Panera last week. I couldn't help myself. But instead of fretting over it, I split the halves, individually packaged them, and stuck them in the freezer.

Now I can reach in, grab just one half a bagel -- instead of a whole -- and supplement my breakfast with other items.

Indulgence and portion control in one little plastic bag. Yum!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 800 in incandescent lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment