Sunday, July 5, 2009

103/365 Blooming hosta

The lovely (and pun-worthy) hosta, along with all of its brethren, is blooming. I had forgotten that hostas bloomed at all, until I noticed the thin shoots sprouting.

I think it actually seems like a flower meant for another plant. The leaves of the hosta are broad and decorative on their own and remain pretty close to the earth. Then this flower extends a foot or two above the plant, a delicate lavender flower on a thin stem.

Is the hosta trying to compete with its neighbors? Feeling left out of the seasonal color?

What led me to choose this photo from the group that I shot was the mottled background. You can see the ivory and green leaves below the bloom, out of focus.

Well, at least the lavender nicely compliments that ivory and green. The hosta got something right.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 200 at about 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment