Tuesday, July 14, 2009

113/365 Lunchtime staple

Homemade hummus has become a staple in my everyday lunch routine.

That punch of protein really helps me get through an afternoon at work, and all I need is a small snack in the late afternoon to give me enough energy for a workout.

And there's just something about making my own hummus that makes it extra satisfying. Not only is it an easy, fun recipe, but it's nice knowing exactly what's going into my food.

Speaking of recipes, how about I share mine with you? It's been a while, but I believe I got this from the Cooking Light website.

Homemade hummus

2 cans (15 oz) garbanzo beans
1 T sesame seeds (toasted sesame seeds work great, too)
1 T roasted garlic
1 T lemon juice (I always add more, but not a specific amount)
2 T olive oil (You'll most likely need to add more to get it to the desired creaminess)
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. salt
1 t. parsley

Throw all ingredients, in no fancy order, into a food processor and let 'er rip! Add lemon juice to taste, and olive oil for creaminess. One aspect of this recipe that makes it different than many others is the use of whole sesame seeds instead of tahini.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups. Enjoy!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment