Wednesday, July 22, 2009

121/365 Plugs and power outlets

Isn't it true that you never realize how much stuff you have until it's time to move it?

The same goes for a smaller category of stuff: electronics. In the process of reorganizing, I'm faced with the quandary of finding enough power outlets for all my electronics.

It's mind boggling, and it draws my attention to just how much energy I/we use on a daily basis, especially when we're not even thinking about it.

One of my favorite podcasts, Make-it-Green Girl, featured an episode about the electronic vampires that suck electricity without your knowledge. The somewhat surprising truth is that just about anything left plugged in, even when you've turned it off, is lapping up some electricity. Especially anything that has a little red/green "ready" light.

Phone chargers, coffee makers, TVs... you name it. And in the process of plugging all my electronics into surge-protector power strips, I'm amazed at just how many power outlets I regularly use.

I have a handful of power strips that have an on/off switch that severs the flow of electricity when turned off, and I'll definitely be getting more in my quest to be ever-more conscious of my energy and resource consumption.

Look out, little vampires. I'm watching you.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment