Thursday, June 4, 2009

74/365 Roses and rocky weather

Having a birthday at the beginning of June more than once has meant rocky weather and canceled outdoor plans.

But not this year! The day itself, June 4, 2009 was a beautiful, breezy 70-degree day. I clipped a rose from a bush at home and photographed it in the warm evening sunshine.

In past years, some of the state's most turbulent weather has occurred within a week on either side of my birthday.

June 2, 1990 -- One of the largest and most widespread tornado outbreaks ravaged Indiana and the surrounding states. 37 of 65 tornadoes hit Indiana.

I remember this day clearly. We lived in my family's previous house, which did not have a basement. My grandparents were in town from Michigan, celebrating my birthday a couple days earlier, when the sirens started sounding the alarm. We gathered various birthday items and ran to the neighbor's basement under green skies.

I think that day may have ingrained in me both my fascination with meteorology and fear of tornadoes.

May 30 - June 9, 2008 -- Nine tornadoes hit central Indiana during this time span, and serious flooding followed. SightSalad was up and running during those 10 days, so I was able to document some of the activity. First, I was at the opening of Sex and the City when we lost power and had to be evacuated from the theater. Then, on my birthday, vibrant lightning lit the skies. Finally, some areas of Indiana received nearly 11 inches of rain, causing unprecedented flooding.

And this year? June 2, 2009 -- Baseball-sized hail hit northeast Indianapolis.

Nevertheless, I enjoy having a birthday that falls in warm-weather months, six months from Christmas. I'd rather battle thunderstorms than snow.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 100 in direct sunlight at about 7:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment