Sunday, June 21, 2009

88/365 The Clean Show and French Quarter

Thursday was a busy work day for me in New Orleans. The day began with a beautiful sunrise over the river, of which I had a fantastic view from my hotel room.

I spent the day at the Clean Show, which was the trade show we were actually in town for. The show is an international event for commercial laundry, held in the US every two years.

The Maytag Repairman made an appearance and spent plenty of time greeting visitors and posing for photos.

In the evening, after retiring my feet into tennis shoes, we again set out for dinner in the French Quarter. We spent time after dinner strolling through the streets, peering in gallery windows (closed for summer hours) and marveling at the historic aspects of the city. This sign for the Spanish Commanderia, dated 1769, calls out the authentic Spanish architectural influences on Royal Street. (I think the graffiti is probably a little newer than that.)

Royal Street was definitely one of my favorite areas of the French Quarter. The buildings were each unique, galleries and nice shops abounded, and life seemed laid-back.

I love the full-length shutters found on many doors and windows. Not only are they interesting design elements, but they play a functional role in the storm season.


We finished the evening sipping Hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's. The drink was so strong I was barely able to put a dent in mine. If I'd finished the entire drink, my colleagues would have had to carry me not just back to the hotel, but to the airport the next day. No thanks!

Cameras: Maytag Repairman photo Canon PowerShot SD1000. Other photos Canon 40D.
Sunrise: 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 100 at about 6:30 a.m.
Other photos: 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 640, 400, 250, and 320 between about 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment