Sunday, January 24, 2010

294/365 Veteran seashells


Collecting shells is one of my favorite activities during beach vacations.

The shells in this photo are a little different -- they weren't collected by me, but rather my grandfather when he was stationed abroad during World War II. He sent them in a couple small cardboard boxes back here to his family, and we unearthed those boxes, fully intact, when we were sorting through some of my grandmother's old belongings. Inside one of the boxes he had even tucked a one-sheet newsletter describing some of the latest current events at the time.

I emptied the boxes into a small glass cylinder and now display them on a shelf in a bookcase -- a bookcase he built for me.

Amazing how some things can come around full circle, isn't it?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 800

No comments:

Post a Comment