Monday, December 7, 2009

250/365 A beautiful bookcase


I've found that my collection of hand-me-down furniture hasn't provided me much space for setting decorative items, lamps, etc. out in my living room. My grandfather made a beautiful clock for me, which is a replica of a clock he made several decades ago -- but it's been sitting on the floor for four months because I simply had nowhere (stable) to put it.

I found that one of the first things I needed/wanted was a fairly large shelving unit to sit against one large wall. Having a unit like this would be more aesthetically proportionate on that wall, it would give me more space for DVDs, photo albums, and books, and it would also provide a stable surface on which I could put my clock, photo frames, and other decorative items.

I collected some ideas (via the pages of Pottery Barn's catalog) and one day showed Grandpa what I was dreaming of. He immediately saw a fun project, gave me an idea of what the various kinds of lumber cost, and told me to sketch out my dimensions.

I designed my bookcase, gave him the sketch, and he got to work. Just over a month later (last week), I became the proud new owner of a beautiful cherry bookcase that not only gives me exactly what I needed -- it gives me yet another piece with great sentimental value.

Even the residual smell of sawdust and polyurethane makes the space feel more like home.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment