Sunday, February 22, 2009

336/365 See seashells

One of my favorite things to do on vacations to beach destinations is comb the sand for good seashells.

It started when I was a kid, when my family had an RV. Mom and I got up one morning shortly after dawn to get to the beach before other searchers and before the tide swept the shells back into the sea.

Ever since then, I've loved it.

On my last trip to Florida, with my girlfriends a couple of years ago, my one request for the week was that we get up early one day to go to the beach to do this very thing.

They were incredibly obliging, getting up with me at 5:30, just to go to the beach and snooze wrapped up in a towel.

Unfortunately, while we had fun that morning and got some great sunrise photos (the light at that time of day is beautiful, as well as flattering), the shell expedition was nearly worthless.

The irony came a few days later, when we took a day trip farther south and found a beach that had more shells than I had ever seen in my life -- at one o'clock in the afternoon.

The luck.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment