Thursday, January 14, 2010

288/365 Hand-dipped ice cream


Ice cream is one of my simple, favorite desserts.

And boy, do I love it in a fresh waffle cone. Real, no-holds-barred ice cream in a big waffle cone. I don't even want to think about the amount of fat and calories in that, but it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

A good scoop of ice cream in a waffle cone has somehow become one of those treats that I seem to only get -- and allow myself to have -- on vacation. And I only go on vacation about once a year.

When I think back on one of my favorite family vacations as a kid, a trip to Yellowstone, I can remember a great fresh frozen yogurt store that we visited. (I also remember getting swarmed by monster mosquitoes right outside the shop.) It had a wood-frame screened door, and they gave you the option to add your own mix-ins to your cone.

Also, I think back on a trip to Florida with my girlfriends a few years ago. I remember getting a hand-dipped scoop of ice cream in a waffle cone on one rainy afternoon when our trip to the beach was cut short. Next door was a tacky souvenir shop where we wandered through the aisles and laughed about some of the crazy wares. And took funny photos, of course.

Why in the world are those dessert shops so memorable to me? Well, it would make sense that part of it isn't just the treat of the ice cream indulgence, but the fact that I savored it in the company of people I love.

Because I can't even tell you what flavor I had.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment