Monday, January 4, 2010

280/365 Outsmarted by the sprinting dog


Buster -- like many other dogs, I understand -- likes to come tearing into the house after he's gotten wet outside.

It's a ritual, and he does it every time. The rainier/wetter it is, the faster he sprints. He'll do it when it's snowy, too, since he's started melting by the time he gets inside.

I wanted to capture this sprint in a blur of motion for this photo, thinking he'd be going so fast that he'd ignore me, but he was too smart for me. I laid flat on the floor, at his level, camera at the ready. But, perceptive being that he is, he saw me right away and slowed his entrance. He knew I was onto him.

In fact, I believe he thought I was waiting to grab him and dry him off (it's been known to happen), so he cautiously trotted by and gave me a wide berth. He kept his eye on both Mom and me, maintaining a distance of about five feet for a solid 5-10 minutes.

Outsmarted by the dog.

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/50s, f/3.5 at ISO 1600

No comments:

Post a Comment