Tuesday, September 30, 2008

198/365 Fall bouquet

Mom brought home a bouquet of flowers from church on Sunday, and they were gorgeous.
I must have spent at least 15 minutes photographing them from every possible angle. These are two of my favorites from the bunch.

In my Black and White Darkroom class last week, the teacher asked us to introduce ourselves and explain what subjects we love to shoot. Interestingly, the three men in the class all said "urban decay," one after another (as in falling-down signs, abandoned buildings, graffiti, etc.).

When my turn arrived, I said that I'm usually drawn to nature and meteorology as subjects, especially plants/flowers and animals. (As a reader of this blog, I'm sure that's no surprise to you.)

My assignment for the week is to shoot a roll of black and white film, to be developed in class this week. I want to be mindful of what I'm shooting, since I'll end up with 8x10 prints of these photos. What's killing me is the fact that my macro lens is not compatible with my film SLR camera. If it were, I'd have no trouble deciding what to shoot. This bouquet would have been my first group of subject matter.

I'm carrying my film camera around with me all week in hopes of stumbling across great opportunities.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/3.5 and 4.0 at ISO 400 outdoors under partly cloudy skies.

1 comment: