Saturday, September 13, 2008

182/365 Lonely basketball goal

I suck at basketball.

It's true. I'm not trying to be humble. Of all the sports I've tried, this is definitely my weakest.

I played basketball for one year -- third grade. I didn't enjoy it, I wasn't good at it, and I don't even remember why I wanted to play in the first place.

The family's favorite story about my brief attempt is all my Dad's fault. After practice one day, or at the dinner table, or before a game, he tried his darnedest to instill some of his wisdom in me.

He said, "When you get the ball, turn your back to the person who's guarding you, so that as you dribble toward the goal, you're putting yourself between them and the ball." (Excuse me if I'm paraphrasing, it's been quite a few years since this happened and my memory isn't as clear as it once was.)

"Okay, Dad!"

So I did. In the next game, I got the ball, turned my back to the girl trying to steal it away, and I moved backwards toward the goal.

Did I mention that I got the ball at the opposite end of the court?

That's a long way to dribble backwards.

I stuck with softball after that.

Camera: Canon 40D 1/250s, f/3.5 at ISO 100 under overcast skies at about 6:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment