Tuesday, September 9, 2008

177/365 Jim and Joe

I got to do four great things on Sunday afternoon:
  1. Go to the IMA to do a photo shoot (gorgeous. perfect day.)
  2. Be the "official" assistant photographer at that shoot (first time!) with Mark, who has been my photography mentor for the last couple years
  3. Spend time with some friends from work -- outside of work (doesn't happen often)
  4. Finally put to use the answer to the question I asked in my last class in March: how might you use a "couples" pose but adapt it for two gay men?
Awesome day.

The request, from Jim, came up months and months ago, and we finally were able to coordinate schedules and weather to do the shoot.

As a gift to celebrate their first anniversary, Jim wanted to have some "formal" photos done of he and Joe. I did some research, asked questions, and brainstormed with Mark before Sunday. Mark acted as primary photographer, using some flash, and I acted as secondary photographer, walking around to get different angles while he shot, and I used only natural light. We had a ball working together.

Here are four of my favorites.

A shot to show their rings:

A great one of them together:

One in kind of a "GQ-style" (my phrasing) pose and location, with the color toned back a bit for mood:

And I love this one of the two of them. They were so natural and happy together the entire time, and this photograph really shows that:

Great way to end the weekend!

Camera: Canon 40D under overcast skies and in shade between 1:00 and 2:30 p.m.
1st photo: 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 160
2nd: 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 125
3rd: 1/125s, f/4.5 at ISO 800
4th: 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 160

No comments:

Post a Comment