Sunday, September 14, 2008

183/365 Halfway -- with homework

Six months ago, I set a goal for myself: take at least one photo per day for the next year, and post it online for added accountability.

I'm halfway there! SightSalad is 183 days old.

September and October will be busy photography-themed months for me. Yesterday I had the first session of one of three classes I'll be taking between now and the end of October.

The class that started yesterday is offered through the IMA... and isn't as advanced as I hoped. The teacher is actually one of the best I've had, it just seems that the name of the class was a little misleading.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there's plenty of foundation details and techniques that I can still learn from it.

My homework for next week is to work with manipulating depth of field using aperture, zoom, and distance to the subject. We're assigned to find three similar objects, line them up, get as close as possible, then make one photograph with the first object in focus, then a second with the second object in focus.

I did the assignment yesterday afternoon with three raspberries (edible subject = great idea). I did a third photo with the third berry in focus as well.


I think the second and third are my favorites.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 800 in natural light from a westward-facing window at about 6:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment