Thursday, September 4, 2008

173/365 A drop of relief

It seems ironic that after the torrential rain we had in June, a good dose of rain is exactly what we need now.

You can hear the dry crunch of grass blades dying when you walk across the yard, trees are shedding their leaves prematurely, and the garden, which was doing so well, is desperately crying for relief.

The effects of Hurricane Gustav have reached us, so we had our first brief downpour yesterday evening.
When I was a kid, I loved to have the garage door open, and either sit in the dry garage just watching the rain, or if it was warm and not storming, go out and play in it.

One of my favorite things to do was run out with old plastic bowls in my hand, strategically place them on the driveway, and periodically run back and forth to see how quickly they filled up.

I don't remember what the idea was behind this activity, but I still like to watch the level of water in the rain gauge slowly fill.

Camera: Canon 40D 1/125s, f/4.5 at ISO 640 at about 6:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment