Monday, September 22, 2008

191/365 Antiques

I'm not into antiques. If a piece catches my eye as something attractive and/or useful, I might consider going for it, but as a whole, antique shopping does absolutely nothing for me.

This is the one big antique piece that has been a significant part of my life for as long as I can remember. It's a wrought-iron bed frame (that must weigh a metric ton) that I've slept on for 20 years.

If I have my story correct, Mom retrieved it from a barn at my grandmother's house when I was a kid. She had it sandblasted and painted, then it became mine. I think she may have even slept on it when she was growing up.

I loved it for many reasons as a kid. For one, it's especially tall, so I could store a lot of stuff underneath -- or fit easily myself. The design of the head and foot also make it easy to stretch string from one end to the other, so I could drape a sheet over the string and pretend I either had a tent or a canopy.

I wonder if the designer thought of that when they built it? It certainly would be a selling point for me!

Correction: I checked my story, and I did have some facts wrong. It was actually my grandmother who rescued the bed frame from a chicken house in Kentucky. I'm at least the fourth generation in my family to use it.

Camera: Canon 40D with external E-TTL flash bounced off the ceiling, 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment