Friday, March 28, 2008

13/365

I think I made some of my fellow photographers a little freaked out in class last night. To learn various portrait poses, whether they be single individuals, couples, families, whatever, we take turns being the "model" and photographer. It gives everyone a chance to experience it from both behind and in front of the camera. Now, keep in mind that none of us know each other, so it can be a little awkward, but we have to learn, right?

We were learning a pose that would be suitable for a portrait of brothers. Like this:

Nice, right? Very traditional, nothing exciting about it.

So then I, being the inquisitive, not-shy-to-ask-a-question, ever-eager student that I am, raised my hand and said, "I won't ask them to demonstrate, but what would you change if this were a gay couple?"

The two guys immediately separated as though they had been two magnets that all of a sudden flipped to their opposite poles and were propelled in opposite directions across the room. Laughter rippled through the entire room. But I was serious! I happen to know a gay pair who wants to have a professional photo done. What rules do you follow? What rules do you break? What changes?

Luckily our instructor took me seriously (thank you!) and gave us one possible pose that would work. It's a very traditional "couple" pose that is by no means exciting or boundary-pushing, but it would be fine:
And then these guys were done being the models. Someone else's turn!

Here's another one from later in the evening. I love how I caught the look on her face. It's not at all how it is supposed to be, but I like it.
I can definitely say I'm learning a lot.

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR (I cleared my memory card before writing this, but I think the settings were) 1/60s, f/8 ISO 200 using a single off-camera studio light and a reflector.

No comments:

Post a Comment