Wednesday, April 29, 2009

38/365 Apple blossoms

Like everything else blooming right now, this apple tree is completely loaded with blossoms. If it's a sign of the fruit to come, then I won't need to make any trips to the orchard this fall!

I'm very grateful that I live in a climate that allows me to grow food in my yard. My parents have generally grown the same vegetables year after year in their garden, but just this year, I learned exactly how extensive the list of Indiana-friendly vegetables is.

You can check it out in the Indiana Vegetable Planting Calendar on the Purdue Extension Publications site. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, in the "Vegetables" section, and it's pdf HO-186-W. You can download it for free by clicking on the PDF link.

Did you know that you can grow black-eye peas in Indiana? How about beets, eggplants, horseradish, kale or celery?

If I lived in a tropical climate, on the other hand, I would immediately plant some citrus trees in my yard. Oranges, grapefruit, lemons... The idea that I could walk out in my backyard and pick a fresh grapefruit for my breakfast sounds exotic -- and heavenly.

Nevertheless, the list of foods that can grow in Indiana is impressive and not too shabby!

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 250 at about 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment