Tuesday, April 7, 2009

16/365 Signs like this give rural Indiana a bad name

I'm going to give the author of this sign the benefit of the doubt and guess that he/she pushed the limits of grammar here intentionally.

But it still bugs me. Why? Because I love living in the rural countryside of the Midwest. And it irks me when people who live outside the area choose to stereotype everyone who lives rurally. Just as it is with any stereotype, sure, a lot of people fit. But so many don't.

If a relative stranger to the area drove by this sign and had any preconceived negative notions about the people who live in the vicinity, this sign just encourages that notion, whether it was done humorously or not.

And that bugs me.

And this doesn't even get into the fact that one of my greatest pet peeves are typos on public signs.

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 at about 5:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment