Sunday, March 29, 2009

6/365 Pink and peppermint

Prior to observing Earth Hour on Saturday, I got in the mood to bake, so I made pink peppermint cupcakes.

A couple of years ago, one of my girlfriends made the most amazing peppermint cupcakes for a birthday dinner, and they made such an impression on me that I've been dying to have them again.

I don't know how she made hers, but for these, I Googled "peppermint cupcakes." I expected it could be pretty easy to just adapt a typical boxed white cake mix (which is exactly what I was hoping to do), and sure enough, I found a recipe.

All I did was add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the mix, along with some fuschia food coloring (left from my 4-H cake decorating days), and voila! They're by no means as good as the original inspiration, but they'll suffice for now.

I also substituted egg whites for whole eggs and applesauce for the oil. And how fun are pink cupcakes?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment