Tuesday, March 17, 2009

361/365 First spring crocus

If this sight stirred an excitement in me, then seeing the first crocus blooming makes me want to jump out of my chair and dance, singing "Flowers! Flowers!"

I won't, but that's how happy I am.

I challenged myself when I set out to photograph this crocus, because at the beginning of this project, in March 2008, I photographed the crocus in this same garden. So my challenge was to make this year's photo both different and an improvement, meaning my goal for this project would be realized: I bettered my photography skills in a year.

Here's last year's post, day 12, and photo:


On the first point, the two photos are different, so that's a definite success.

Is it an improvement? I like last year's photo, but it's underexposed (too dark), and I would probably compose (or crop) it a little differently now. By no means would I scrap it, though. The 2008 photo was done in the shade, so the lighting is different right from the start, but I have a more thorough understanding of how to get a better exposure now.

Overall, I'd say I rose to my challenge and produced a very different photo. Now if all the other flowers will hurry up and sprout, I could work on improving my view of them, too.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 100 at about 6:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment