Friday, November 20, 2009

234/365 Swing dancing at Fountain Square


I may have found it.

I went out swing dancing with some friends last week at an open theater in Indianapolis, Fountain Square. The Indianapolis Jazz Orchestra was on hand to play live big-band music, and we danced until after 10:30.

It may be exactly what I've been looking for.

When it comes to dancing, I've never been one to be terribly interested in competing. I've done it, both in clogging and ballroom, but my heart really belongs to pure performance.

I love dancing on stage, whether it's with a team or a single partner. I'm in it to please an audience, not win a trophy.

But finding that kind of an outlet in central Indiana, for ballroom dancing or anything besides clogging, has been a real challenge. Opportunities exist for social dancing and mingling, but (with all due respect) most of the attendees at these events tend to be a little ... older than I.


Judging by the size of the crowd at Fountain Square last week, the dancers on the younger end of the spectrum seem to be flocking to swing dancing. I had a ball, and my friends seemed to as well. I'll definitely be going back.

This looks like it's worth investigating!

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000

No comments:

Post a Comment