Wednesday, November 25, 2009

238/365 A trip to Chicago

For four days last week, Wednesday through Saturday, Mom and I took some time off and went to Chicago!

We traveled by train for the first time, so that alone was a bit of an adventure. The fares were fantastic -- $19 to Chicago, $24 home. Compared to $300 plane tickets, I'd say that's a good deal! Rather than boarding in Indianapolis, we chose Crawfordsville instead, which put us a little farther north. [Check back for an upcoming post about that train station.]

Traveling by Amtrak was a little like stepping back in time, especially to a time prior to 9/11. The most striking difference was the fact that we never once had to be screened by security. Amtrak recommends getting to the station 30 minutes before your train departs -- a big difference when you consider that most airlines recommend arriving at least two hours prior to your flight.

The trains were clean, the seats were larger than a plane's, and we had tons of leg room. I'd definitely travel that way again!

On our first afternoon in Chicago, we visited the Field Museum. My favorite exhibit was, hands down, Sue, the T Rex. The Museum had many other dinosaur skeletons on display, but a disappointing majority of them were casts of the original. Not real. It's just not as awe-inspiring when it's man-made material. Sue, on the other hand, was the real thing. Wow.

Also cool was a featured exhibit that focused on diamonds. When an exhibit has dedicated guards stationed throughout, you know the materials are real.

We were so exhausted at the end of our first night that we were in bed and asleep by 9:30 p.m.

Yep, we party hard. 

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/125s, f/3.5 at ISO 1250


  1. Isn't that Crawfordsville "train station" fun? Did you do the early morning one (at like 6:30 if I recall)? Back in like 2005 Rachel G. and I did a day trip, which I don't recommend. We went up at like 6 am, came back at 7pm, and were absolutely beat!

  2. We weren't sure what to expect at the "train station," and it definitely seemed odd! I have to say, it was very nice to park right there, for free, and not have to deal with any traffic or crowds.

    The train left Crawfordsville at 7:30 a.m. and returned at 10:30. That would be a l-o-n-g day trip -- I don't blame you for being exhausted!