Monday, August 17, 2009

148/365 Namaste

I've been practicing yoga for several years, at home with the guidance of an instructor on a DVD. My favorite is Rodney Yee, though Karen Voight has a great routine, too.

Just recently I tried my first in-person yoga class, and I'm completely hooked!

The instructor is experienced and encouraging, but the best part is the class is challenging and changes every week. My muscles have been quite sore in the days following each class, which to me is always a sign of a good workout.

I just have to shake my head when people -- who've never tried it -- roll their eyes and claim yoga isn't a workout. It requires a different kind of strength than can be achieved with standard weight lifting, and though it moves fluidly from one pose to the next, it's definitely not easy.

Last week I balanced in a headstand -- and attempted a handstand -- for the first time since I was a kid, and I'll tell you from that experience that holding up adult body weight is much more difficult!

One aspect of yoga that I enjoy, and seems somewhat counterintuitive, is that it becomes an increasingly better workout as you get stronger and more flexible. That challenge keeps me coming back for more.

And that keeps life interesting.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 320

No comments:

Post a Comment