Sunday, August 9, 2009

138/365 A lily by any other name

I set out to photograph the surprise lilies that have popped up in the last week, but alas, they were past their prime. So I scooted a foot to the left and focused on these small yellow flowers instead.

Surprise lilies earned their name because they pop up on tall, thin stems, and bloom in pink bunches. What I find really funny is the alternate name they've been given -- Naked Ladies.

Until this last week, I had never heard that name, and I know my eyebrows shot up in surprise when I heard it. I see how the name fits, but for now, I'll just continue to call them Surprise Lilies.

These yellow flowers? I have no idea what they are. And I don't know any funny nicknames.

So we'll just have to appreciate them for being yellow and blooming.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 320 at about 7:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment