Sunday, August 2, 2009

132/365 Canning green beans

The sounds of summer have been hitting my ears quite often in the last week. Two in particular are cicadas humming in the trees and the pressure cooker rattling on the stove.

Mom's green beans are ready, so she spent the weekend canning them in perfect pints and quarts. It's hard, long work, especially since everything seems to ripen at once, but having garden-fresh vegetables in the dead of winter is worth it.

I helped as much as I could, but I'm usually shooed out of the kitchen when the pressure cooker heats up (for safety reasons). Before that stage, though, I love the bright green color of the beans before they go in the cooker. I swiped this jar for a few minutes to photograph it before it was due to be prepped and sealed.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 800 in natural light by a window.

No comments:

Post a Comment