Sunday, May 10, 2009

49/365 Blooming rhododendron

The lovely rhododendron I mentioned in my last post is blooming more today, so it merited a return visit.

I did my usual light research relating to rhododendrons and was surprised to learn that rhododendrons are an amazingly widespread and revered plant. For example, did you know that there is an organization called the American Rhododendron Society?

Or, (being an Indiana native, I didn't know this) did you know that the rhododendron is the state flower of both West Virginia and Washington? They chose two different varieties, but the fact that this plant can grow on opposite coasts of the United States says a lot about its versatility.

The state flower of Indiana (the peony) won't bloom for another few weeks, but I'm glad to welcome Washington's and West Virgina's representatives to the season.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 125 in shade at about 5:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment