Thursday, May 7, 2009

46/365 A beckoning yellow iris

I did a little Googling about irises before this post (as I often do), and I found on Wikipedia (an always excellent resource) that "iris" comes from the Greek word for a rainbow.

They're called irises because they're found in such a wide variety of colors. I found this yellow one surrounded by lavender, and it was reaching out to be photographed.

SalisburyPost says that according to Greek mythology, the goddess Iris was a messenger believed to be the link between heaven and earth, and irises now symbolize faith, hope, wisdom, courage and admiration.

I wouldn't turn down a bouquet of irises no matter what it symbolized, but it's always nice to know it's positive!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 200 in shade at about 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment