Tuesday, May 26, 2009

65/365 Purple petunias

I'm a fan of flower names for girls, but Petunia isn't one of them (no offense to this lovely flower).

Why? Say the word "petunia" out loud a few times. Notice how your face feels when you say it and the sound of the word. You can easily scrunch your nose up and say "eeww" (as in "yuck" or "gross") in the middle of the word.

And that seems like a recipe for playground nickname disaster.

Plus, the name Petunia reminds me of Aunt Petunia from the Harry Potter series, and that's not a pleasant association.

I have no trouble with the flower itself, though. They're perfectly lovely and acceptable annuals, and I like seeing them grace my parents' flower pots each year.

I just wouldn't name a daughter after a petunia. Lily, sure. Rose, Violet, Iris, Poppy, Begonia, Azalea, Rhododendron...

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 100 at about 8:15 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment