Tuesday, May 19, 2009

57/365 Alternative therapies

With each passing year, I'm becoming a more convinced believer in alternative medicines.

Well, really, at least part of it boils down to the fact that I'm a fan of anything that doesn't involve getting a shot. I'll take just about any remedy I can get before I'll go there. (But that opens up an entirely different can of stories.)

I'm dealing with an odd injury. I don't know how I did it, but I injured the joint at the base of my big toe at the beginning of the year. I've been treating it as a sprain (yep, you can sprain your toe), but while that helped it improve for a little while, it plateaued.

I'm at the end of my home-remedy rope. If I saw my family doctor, I expected he'd say, "Sorry, can't help ya, unless you'd like a cortisone shot in your toe?" Eek! That thought alone gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Then Mom had a great revelation: it's a joint problem, so why not see if our chiropractor deals with that? Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Here's the seemingly most far-fetched part: part of my treatment (after adjusting the joint) now involves low-level laser, or "cold laser," therapy. It's hard to wrap my mind around, because you sit with this laser pointed at the injury for a few minutes, and you can't feel a thing.

Okay.....?

But then I went to the old trusty Google, and it turns out this therapy has a lot of support and is recognized by the FDA. It's being used to treat everything from rheumatoid arthritis to cancer, and is especially recognized as beneficial in healing wounds.

I could immediately feel a difference after this first treatment on Monday. I'm just crossing my fingers that it works!

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 indoors in fluorescent office lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment