Tuesday, April 15, 2008

32/365 One step up from blocks

Today I took a break from thinking about composition... the rule of thirds... quality of the light... time of day... shutter speeds and apertures... everything.

Today's picture is a snap-and-run.

You've heard stories -- perhaps you've seen real-life instances -- of backwoods homes with a car up on blocks in the front yard? Well, this is a step above that.

Yes, indeed, this is a car on the roof of the house.

It was a snap-and-run picture because I had to actually pull into the driveway to get it. I'm pretty positive the house is empty and abandoned (I can't imagine sleeping knowing a car was perched on the roof over my head), but even so, it made me nervous to be passing the "NO TRESPASSING" sign for even 30 seconds to snap the picture. So I got it, turned around, and high-tailed it right back out of the driveway.

Study this a little more and think about it. How did it get up there? How long has it been there? And WHY in the WORLD is it up there?

It doesn't look like it was in drivable shape before it got up there, and there were no storage sheds or small buildings around that could be used as a ramp. A dumpster was sitting about 20 yards away, outside the frame -- I've never seen a dumpster delivered to see how it's done, but might the guys who delivered it have thought it would be funny to put the car up there? It also seems like a teenage-boy kind of stunt, but how would they have managed it? A lot of people have tractors in this area, but that car is higher on the roof than any tractor I've seen could handle.

Crazy, huh? What do you think?

(And NO, I don't normally see stuff like this.)

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 at about 6:15 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment