Friday, April 11, 2008

27/365 Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

I finished my portrait class last night! It was a session mainly of questions and answers; we didn't do too many new poses. This was the only one. I think it's an interesting pose, but if I were to do this with a subject outside of class, I would modernize it and make it a little more contemporary and nontraditional.

And on the subject of making a pose more contemporary, I actually have the option to go back for one last class session next week... but I think I'll skip it. I found out what the class focus will be -- glamour or fashion photography -- which initially piqued my interest, because if nothing else, I think would be fun to try with my friends. But I got a preview of the "glamour" photography we'd be doing, and it was more along the lines of Glamour Shots than Glamour magazine.

You remember Glamour Shots -- feather boas. Sequins. Soft lighting and fuzzy edges. Loads of makeup. Making 12-year-old girls look like they were 18. And I think of big, teased, permed hair. When I think of Glamour Shots, I think of a teenage girl who was our neighbor in the 80s and early 90s. I used to walk into her room and just stand and stare in awe at her collection of hair products -- crimpers, aerosol hairsprays, picks, curling irons, you name it, she had it. And she had the long, permed hair and three-inch-bangs to support it.

Glamour Shots was a huge success in its heyday, and more power to them for finding a business plan that worked. But my interest leans toward more contemporary -- or even classic old-Hollywood -- styles of glamour photography. So I think I'll save my gas and consider the class complete!

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR 1/60s, f/8, ISO 100. One studio light off-camera right and one reflector behind the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment