Wednesday, April 2, 2008

19/365 Fresh fruit is making a comeback

A kiwi is one of those fruits that makes me scratch my head when I think about it. Who was that first person who spied this brown, hairy, baseball-sized (well, it was probably before they made baseballs, so they probably said it was egg-sized or stone-sized) fruit and said, "Hmm. That looks like it might be tasty!"? Do you think it was a person stranded in a forest, on the brink of starvation, who stumbled across this one plant that finally had something besides just leaves growing on it -- and they figured, "Well, it's either try eating this or die, and I'm already going to do the latter, so what do I have to lose?"

And when they bit into it or sliced it open and found this bright, almost neon-green juicy flesh inside with perfect rows of black seeds in the middle, I bet they thought they were hallucinating. Who would have thought that this ugly berry (yep, apparently it's a berry!) would be so great -- and beautiful?

And, on a side note, whose idea was it to start calling New Zealand natives Kiwis? Perhaps some of them look like brown hairy fruit (or flightless birds), but I've seen several who are quite attractive. So I doubt that's the reason.

Regardless, I love kiwis -- both their sweet, tangy taste and their vibrant color -- and I am super excited for fresh fruit season to return to Indiana. I'm tired of being restricted to oranges and frozen blueberries. Bring on the fresh strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, sour cherries, pineapple, peaches... !

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 on macros setting under fluorescent lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment