Friday, August 20, 2010

82/365 Homemade jam

We have a saying in my family: "We're not normal."

It's true. And we embrace it.

We often use it as a way to remind ourselves that the way we do things may not be the norm, so be conscious of your expectations for other people.

Take summertime, for instance: Sounds of summer for me include the pinging of shelled peas as they fall into a metal bowl (before being frozen), and the rattling of a pressure cooker on the stove (storing green beans). My family has always grown a large garden, and Mom stores a lot of food for the winter. It takes work, and it's a dying art in a lot of ways. I realize it's not the norm. But I sure do love it!

The latest item to be preserved this year is homemade jam, made from concord grapes grown at home.
Because I'm used to having a reserve of home-grown and -made jam, it feels... wrong... to buy jam. It helps if it's from a local producer, but I still feel a bit like I'm committing a crime when I buy jam.

It's not normal.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/250s, f/4 at ISO 100 in direct sunlight by a window at about 5:15 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment