Wednesday, August 25, 2010

84/365 Silage harvest

I passed this corn field on my way home from work the other day, and I was surprised to see it in the middle of being harvested. Corn in this area generally isn't harvested until the end of September or October, when it's completely browned and dried out. But this was still halfway green.

So I asked Chase, my favorite expert on all things farm-related, and he told me that it's actually silage. Silage, in this case, is corn grown specifically to be cattle feed. The farm next to this field is a cattle farm with a couple different breeds, so that does make sense. I'd heard Chase mention silage before, but I'd never seen the process in action. Interesting!

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/250s, f/5.6 at ISO 100 at about 5:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment