Tuesday, August 17, 2010

80/365 Wildflower or weed?

What exactly separates wildflowers and weeds? More than just a difference in name, the two definitely come with rather opposite feelings or connotations.

When I hear "wildflower," I think of freedom, in plant having found its own way and carved out a piece of real estate. I think of natural beauty that exists without the aid of humans. I think of summer, colors, delicate blossoms, and softness.

On the other hand, what comes to mind when you hear "weed"? I'd put money on the idea that it's quite different. Words like nuisance, obstruction, hard work, and kill come to mind.

But a friend commented on a previous post here that considered dandelions, asserting that a weed might just be a plant out of place. Makes sense! If you think of it that way, does that dandelion in your yard earn a promotion from weed to wildflower?

The flower in the photo above is one I'd call a wildflower, but it's not growing in my yard -- so someone else might feel differently.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 100 at about 6:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment