Wednesday, August 4, 2010

73/365 Excavating

It seems like I've been hauling my laundry around for eight years straight.

It's not true, and is an exaggeration, but sometimes it seems that way! While I was in college, I took my laundry home with me on Sundays and did it there, rather than at the dorm or sorority house. It was cheaper, I didn't have to fight for an unreliable machine, and I (best of all) got to see my family.

When I moved into my house, it took us a while to find and buy a washer and dryer that would fit in my teeny space -- which meant hauling my laundry to Mom and Dad's to do every weekend.

Then I had a couple months of relative ease with my own washer and dryer.

But then, one day this past winter, the septic system backed up. Oh, the joy, if you've never had that happen! We discovered that there were tree roots growing inside the pipes of the septic system in my yard. We had the pipe from the house to the tank roto-rootered, but it didn't fix the problem.

So it was back to hauling my laundry to Mom and Dad's, until we could have an excavator come out to the house and do a bigger fix on the situation. That day finally came last Saturday!

Chase (pictured above, once again demonstrating his amazing skill with machinery) and Brent Sellers, of Sellers Excavating, tore into the backyard and figured out the problem. The good news is that we think they've fixed it (knock on wood!), and it should last for at least 10 years. They cleared out more tree roots from the finger system and replaced a clay section of pipe with PVC. We feared the problem would be bigger than that, so we're all relieved.

So, Saturday night, I happily did laundry in my own house. It was marvelous! Big round of applause to Chase and Brent for saving the day.

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/400s, f/4 at ISO 100 at about 9:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment