Friday, March 12, 2010

341/365 New theme: food!

A week has passed, so it's time for a change of theme!

Warning to you: it may make you hungry, because "Food" is my new subject of choice.

To kick things off, I'll start with the beginning of the day -- breakfast.

I'm sure it originates with the encouragement of a parent who wouldn't let me leave the house without it, but I've never been a person who could skip breakfast. I don't know about you, but I wake up hungry every day.

My breakfast of choice lately, especially in the winter months, has been oatmeal. Old-fashioned rolled oats, with dried cranberries, almonds, milled flax seed, cinnamon, a little raw sugar, and a splash of milk. With two hard-boiled egg whites on the side for extra protein. Oh my. So good. Why skip that?

When I started at this job over a year ago, one of the first things many of my new coworkers raved about was a weekly tradition: Friday-morning staff breakfasts. Everyone in the company takes turns cleaning the kitchen for a week at a time. With more than 40 people in the building, the chore really isn't that bad, because you only have to do it about once a year.

The grand finale of your cleaning week consists of providing breakfast for everyone. Breakfast for 40. And boy, is it a hit.

Most commonly you'll see bagels, doughnuts, juice, and fresh fruit. I personally love it when people get creative and do something different.

My turn was last week, and I chose to do an oatmeal buffet of sorts. I got two kinds of oatmeal, provided granola, vanilla yogurt, and milk, and had several kinds of mix-ins on hand to spice it up. There was actually quite a bit of food left over, so I don't think it was as bit a hit as I'd have liked, but at least it was healthy and something different!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/80s, f/2.8 at ISO 1000

No comments:

Post a Comment