Wednesday, December 30, 2009

273/365 Hand-me-down silver


I received these silver candlesticks as a hand-me-down this past summer. I like using taper candles to create table centerpieces for special meals, so I was very excited to get these.

They hadn't been used in quite some time, so they need a little polishing. I wanted to try an easy, nontoxic DIY method first, so I found instructions online:

- Line a pan with aluminum foil -- or use an aluminum pan. (I used a plastic dish tub.)
- Fill the pan with steaming hot water
- Add a couple tablespoons each of salt and baking soda
- Drop in your silver items, and it's recommended that they be touching each other
- And voila, the tarnish is supposed to melt away before your eyes

Did it work?

Amazingly, yes! The dark tarnish disappeared within five minutes. They still need some more attention and polishing, but I was shocked -- and glad -- that the DIY method actually worked.

I love when that happens!

Camera: Canon 40D with 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment