Wednesday, December 16, 2009

260/365 Sneaker Stilts


White elephant gift exchanges can be fun... or go pitifully wrong. I've participated in both.

The worst I've been to involve gifts that are complete second-hand junk. It takes the fun out of the game, partially because no one is interested in "stealing" a gift from another participant.

I inwardly groaned a bit when I learned that our office holiday party would include a white elephant gift exchange. All I could do was hope that my coworkers put a little more effort into selecting fun/funny gifts.

My contribution was actually an item that I (or my brother) got in a white elephant exchange about ten years ago -- a pair of stilts, complete with plastic sneakers on the ends for "feet."

It was a perfect white elephant gift: 1) wrapping it was incredibly difficult, meaning it was a large, oddly shaped package that drew attention and curiosity and was chosen early; 2) it was second-hand, but instead of being junk, it was actually a fun thing to have; and 3) it inspired people to "steal" it from other exchange participants until the rules mandated it could no longer be stolen.

I ended up with a workout video -- "The Abs Diet Workout." I'm actually curious to try it out!

Camera: Canon 40D with 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 800

No comments:

Post a Comment