Thursday, December 10, 2009

254/365 For the love of Jane Austen


Ah, Jane Austen, how I love thee.

I first read Pride & Prejudice in my freshman year of college. My required literature class was themed "From horror to high tea," so we read Frankenstein, Dracula, Pride & Prejudice, and Jane Eyre.

I honestly need to go back and reread Frankenstein and Jane Eyre, because I didn't put nearly as much effort or focus into reading them as I should have at that point. I remember being rather bored with both, and I did a lot of skimming of the text.

Dracula I had read before, so I already had a good understanding of it. Pride & Prejudice was the only novel of the four that I actually liked. It did take me some time to get used to the language and get through it, but by the end, I was hooked.

As an English Writing minor, I took another literature class during my senior year that focused solely on the work of Jane Austen. We read five of her six complete novels: Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, and Persuasion. Again, I need to give Mansfield Park and Persuasion another go. But that class truly turned me into a Jane Austen fan. I've read many other authors' adaptations and continuations of her stories since then, and I can't get enough.

So Northanger Abbey is the only one of her six novels that I had yet to read. That became one of my goals for 2009, to read the book. Well, it's now mid-December, and I'm doing it. I will accomplish that goal by the 31st.

I'm having an easier time than ever getting into the story and the style, and I'm enjoying the book very much. At this point, I'd say it's among my top three favorites, joined by P&P and S&S.

Check another resolution off that 2009 list!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment